Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No hope in sight


Kairit looks beautiful on skype. We talked about her recent ten-day stay at the hospital for neurologic care in Haapsalu where she thought she would receive daily physical therapy. That proved false.  She did have one 45-minute session but it seems that was merely to test the strength of her muscles.  I was not there so I cannot attest to Kairit's impression that the process at the hospital was merely paying lip service to her condition. She feels that given the death sentence of ALS there is no real desire to improve the quality of her life. I argue that I am sure she is mistaken -- that often nurses and even doctors feel impotent in dealing with a disease where there is yet no treatment nor cure....and its very beginnings are not yet understood.  Here in the United States there are clinics for people with ALS where they can get help to continue their daily lives. Often these resources are provided free-of-charge. The ALS Association is a valuable helpmate.
I asked Kairit's mother, Aino (my half-sister), who is 70 years old, how she is holding up. She is tired but determined to help as long as possible. She and Kairit's sister, Hurmi, who was visiting from Tallinn, received instructions at the hospital on how to lift Kairit in and out of a wheelchair. Kairit is finally coming around to the idea that she should have one so she can at least get out of her one-room environment. The goal is to get one by the time spring arrives and install a wheelchair ramp at Kairit's back door stairs so she can be transported to the sidewalk. Fortunately, her apartment home is on the first level of the building and located not far from the town center. She'll be able to visit with friends and enjoy a cafe meal. We all hope that the change of scenery will enliven Kairit's spirits....but we forgive her the bad days. Think about it -- how do you feel when a bad headache or a cold ruins your day? Imagine a day when your muscles are not working -- when you can't walk, or sit up in bed, or use your hands, or swallow -- and never will again. Tough deal...
We caught up on other family news and then agreed to speak again in a few days.
I did not tell Kairit that the Canadian attorney with ALS who we met at the stem cell clinic in Dusseldorf died this past week. Rest in peace, David. You will be missed...

2 comments:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was diagnosed with ALS early this year February to be precise , and i was so confused because i love my dad and i wouldn't want to loose him so soon so i decided to look for a possible solution to get rid of this ALS despite knowing it has no cure as advised by the medical doctor , everyday my dad's heath depreciate and keeps loosing weight and strength,a friend advised me to try peter wise ALS herbal formula that she used it to cure her dad's heart disease and i was reluctant about it until after a second thought i decided to give it a try because no harm in trying and immediately i contacted him he assure me that my dad will be cured within few weeks of medication and he sent me the medicine and i applied it on my dad as advised by dr peter wise and within 3 weeks of medication my dad was cured and now my dad is free from ALS , i went to the hospital that said there was no cure to ALS and informed them about my dad's healing and they were surprised . here is the contact email (peterwiseherbalcenter@gmail.com) and also reach him on hangout or through his whatsapp number via +2349059610643
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete