Monday, January 24, 2011

Research & Money


Kairit' s lovely face framed by her newly cut hair lit up the computer screen via skype.  She had received the protein powders and other supplements I had sent that she credits for keeping her feeling healthy. Healthy --  but for ALS. I wish I could go to the holistic pharmacy and buy some product that would keep the progression of the muscle-wasting disease at bay or even reverse its effects. She has been taking the Imuran drug for several months now in the hope that she has not ALS but MMN, multi-focal motor neuropathy.  The Imuran thus far has only worked to weaken her immune system but the motor neurons do not have any more life than 4 months ago. If anything she is weaker. In another eight weeks, Kairit will have a follow-up with her doctor at Tartu University Hospital. Whether or not she continues the drug will then be determined.
It seems of late the ALS Association has sent several notices of progress made in identifying genes and mutations, and other findings but there has been no "AHA" moment.  As with so many diseases that still need treatment options and cures, money makes the difference in research. The cancer treatments and cures for some types of cancer have resulted from billions of dollars and many years of scientific research. ALS is underfunded because, quite frankly, fewer people get the disease...and most die rather quickly. It does not place the same strain on the healthcare system as other terminal illnesses. It only matters to the ALS patients, their loved ones, and those dedicated medical professionals and scientists who want to make a difference in caring for patients stricken with this terrible disease. Every disease is difficult but ALS seems particularly cruel  -- to keep the mind vital while the body wastes away.
If you have never experienced ALS with a loved one....or any friend or acquaintance...it is hard to imagine the depths of despair that set in when told there is no treatment and no cure. I have struggled for months now with my emotions. Kairit is too young and vital to let go. My aunt Geri, a fashionable and energetic woman in her early 60's, died just a year and half after her diagnosis. The two sides of the family are not genetically related...Kairit being the youngest daughter of my half-sister, Aino...and Geri was my mother's younger sister. I was not as connected to Geri's ill fate because I did not speak with her regularly on skype. Her smiling face did not reach across the seas...grab my heart...and cause me to pray for riches to come my way so we could put the money towards research into a cure for ALS.

3 comments:

  1. Hello friends, my name is Angela Salgado i want to testify on how i was cured of my Als by herbal doctor Iyabiyetayese, i have suffered from Als for years and have been to different hospitals for cure but all effort was in vain. so while i was on net i saw so many testimony's about doctor Iyabiyetayese on how he cured so many diseases and virus so i decide to contact the said doctor and explain to him about my Als so he promise to cure me after all arrangements have been made he prepared the herbs and sent to me in my country and i took it behold i was totally cured,now i'm happy to testify that i'm cured of my Als, so if you are suffering from Als and you want a total cure contact doctor Iyabiyetayese on doctoriyabiyetayese@gmail.com or call him on (+2347052619450)...


    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been suffering from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease for the last two years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Segun and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Segun telling him about my (ALS Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr Segun on : (dr.segunsplletemple@gmail.com)..... THESE ARE THE THINGS DR Segun CAN ALSO CURE.. GONORRHEA, HIV/AIDS , LOW SPERM COUNT, MENOPAUSE DISEASE, PREGNANCY PROBLEM, SHORT SIGHTEDNESS PROBLEM, Stroke, Bring back ex lover or wife/husband....sir i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever recommend you to my friends!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete