Monday, October 11, 2010

A Visit to Estonia

The past two weeks have been a reality check in Estonia. Kairit's life now takes place in one room of her comfortable apartment in the small town of Haapsalu. My visit confirmed suspicion that Kairit's optimistic nature and sense of humor belied the truth of her situation. When her boyfriend Anto is available, he carries Kairit into the shower that has been newly redone to suit a disabled person for bathing. However, one needs to be able to step up about six inches to get into the shower
room and Kairit is unable to do that.

Over the past few months, Kairit's mother, my half-sister, Aino, has taken on more and more responsibility caring for her. She can still walk a short distance to the bathroom with the help of a walker and a strong hand guiding her. Her gait, however, is less steady. Kairit is also having trouble sitting up in bed without help. She has less use of her hands and her fingers appear to be thinner and atrophied. When she's on her laptop computer, she uses her curled fingers to type on the keyboard.

To make matters worse, she and Anto have used up their mutual goodwill and their relationship is tenuous. Kairit understands that he is healthy and well and needs to move forward with his life. She does not want to be a burden to him or unkind but sometimes her anger at her situation gets the best of her. Anto has been a good help but the time is coming when her physical situation will require more trained and able caregivers. Aino will care for her daughter as long as possible with help and occasional weekend relief from another daughter who lives an hour away but works and has a young son. Kairit wants to stay home as long as possible but ALS is taking its toll physically, mentally and emotionally.

There is also still no consensus on her diagnosis. One of her doctors believes that it is yet possible that she has MMN (multifocal motor neuropathy) and has prescribed a drug called Imuran. The drug that is often used by some cancer patients is being used off-label here. She may experience nausea, dizziness, and other symptoms or she may have no reaction at all. My understanding is that if the drug helps her in a 4-5 month period, then she has the autoimmune system disease. The drug could itself cause cancer in the long term but Kairit felt it was worth trying for a few months to see if anything changed in regard to the motor neurons. In any case, neither ALS or MMN is a good diagnosis although with MMN one can live longer. In Kairit's case, does that mean a continuation of life in a room or would she be able to work, get out of her apartment, and lead a more normal existence? Or is MMN simply three different letters to a similar health issue?

Life in a room. Eat. Sleep. Watch TV. Read. Google. Email. Occasional visits from friends. Wait to deteriorate. Cry...while loved ones also cry and hearts break.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
    dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
    that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
    night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
    a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
    truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
    waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
    up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
    grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
    decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
    Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM Cancer and am So happy to share this testimony with everyone about how i got my Cancer cured from doctor Akhigbe the godfather of herbal medicine. I had been going from one country to another for medication for several years just to be cured from Cancer but all seems in vain, i was confused and decided to search through the Internet if i could get any news concerning Cancer so i do keep searching until i visited one particular site and i saw the great testimonies from different persons testifying how doctor Akhigbe has cure them from Cancer and other diseases and i was shock and was thinking if this is real, after a due consideration i decided to contact him with the link he posted just to give it a trail and when i contacted him he proved to me that his herbal medicine can cure me if only i believe in it, so i requested for his herbal medicine and i got it and i applied it as prescribed and after 2weeks of application i went for a test and to my greatest shock the Cancer virus has disappeared and it was just like a dream. Today I am cured from Cancer am so happy and thanking God for using doctor Dr Akhigbe to cure me. so if you are out there and you are suffering from Cancer or any kind of illness do contact doctor Akhigbe through he will help you to cure that illness. or whatsapp him on this number +2348142454860 or email him on..drrealakhigbe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Corey Pollard from Ontario ,My dad was diagnosed with ALS early this year February to be precise , and i was so confused because i love my dad and i wouldn't want to loose him so soon so i decided to look for a possible solution to get rid of this ALS despite knowing it has no cure as advised by the medical doctor , everyday my dad's heath depreciate and keeps loosing weight and strength,a friend advised me to try peter wise ALS herbal formula that she used it to cure her dad's heart disease and i was reluctant about it until after a second thought i decided to give it a try because no harm in trying and immediately i contacted him he assure me that my dad will be cured within few weeks of medication and he sent me the medicine and i applied it on my dad as advised by dr peter wise and within 3 weeks of medication my dad was cured and now my dad is free from ALS , i went to the hospital that said there was no cure to ALS and informed them about my dad's healing and they were surprised . here is the contact email (peterwiseherbalcenter@gmail.com) and also reach him on hangout or through his whatsapp number via +2349059610643
    Best Regards.
    Corey pollard

    ReplyDelete