Saturday, October 16, 2010

From Bad to Worse


Kairit fell yesterday on the way to the bathroom in her apartment.  Her left leg completely twisted and bent backwards.  It is fortunate that Anto was there. He called for an ambulance right away. Kairit was taken to the local hospital where an x-ray showed she had torn the ligaments and tissue in her leg up to the knee.  The doctors sent her home with a brace and told her to keep her leg elevated and still for the next week. They recommended ice packs and offered her pain medication. Kairit refused the medication because she is concerned about the interaction with the Imuran.
I only heard about this terrible turn of events this morning as I skyped with my sister-in-law Margit and then Kairit's younger sister, Hurmi.  Health care in the USA is often determined by one's insurance coverage. It is no different in Estonia where universal coverage gets you some help but private coverage may get you more.  In addition, many of the doctors are not motivated to help when care is needed. One of my nieces near Tallinn had a fever for two weeks and despite calling her doctor requesting an appointment citing her fever, stuffy nose, blocked ears and pain in her face, it wasn't until she was well in her third week of discomfort that the doctor reluctantly gave her time. He then prescribed antibiotics after which she was better in a few days. In the meantime, she had lost more than two weeks of work and suffered unnecessarily.
In Kairit's case, she is only one of three patients in Estonia (with a population under 2.5 million people) who have ever been diagnosed with ALS.  There is little knowledge among doctors there about the disease and patient care and no incentive to learn more.  Kairit's doctors at Tartu University Hospital are doing the best they can but it is also up to patients to advocate for themselves and the country's citizens to demand more.
With that in mind, I suggested that despite it being a weekend, that Hurmi try to reach Kairit's main physician at Tartu to make her aware of Kairit's accident and acute pain and her reluctance to take any pain medication until discussing it with her doctor.  ALS is not a painful disease, although horrific, but taking strong medication usually given to cancer patients and then having severe pain from an injury and the psychological curveball in trying to stay positive is almost too much for Kairit to bear.
Life has gone from living in one room....to a nightmare.

5 comments:

  1. Hello to you all, I am morgan from USA, I want to share this testimony to all of you out there, seeking for treatment for your illness, I once had ALS but today i want to tell you that i am cure of the virus, the treatment and cure was given to me when i met Dr. Atukema on the internet and he told me he can treat me with his herbal medicine, i had my doubt, but because i was very serious in finding treatment, i agreed to try, today i am well, it has be confirmed by the Doctors that ALS is no longer traceable in my body, so i want to tell you all, if you have any form of illness,Cancer, Sickle Cell, Herpes, Diabetes, warts, lupus, HIV and all form of Std, you can be sure of cure with Dr.Atukema

    Name: Dr. Atukema
    Email dr.atukema@gmail.com
    Phone: +2347064693371(whatsapp)

    If you get treated by dr, please also tell other



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).
      I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.
      i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.
      i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!
      after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!
      i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!
      its really like a dream but i am so happy!
      thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!
      and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348140073965
      I,m neme amber and you can get intouch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..

      Delete
    2. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173 He can also cure so many sickness {1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes {3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis

      Delete
  2. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
    dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
    that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
    night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
    a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
    truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
    waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
    up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
    grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
    decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
    Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).
    I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.
    i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.
    i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!
    after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!
    i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!
    its really like a dream but i am so happy!
    thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!
    and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348140073965
    I,m neme amber and you can get intouch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..

    ReplyDelete